Chai Tea Ice Cream
A nice sweet ice cream with a hint of spice
Time to prepare:
Time to cook:
Ingredients (6 persons):
2 cups milk2 tbsp butter1/2 cup sugar + 2 tbsp8 bags Chai tea4 egg yolks
How to prepare:
1. In a pot, place the milk, butter, 1/2 cup sugar and chai tea bags and let it boil until it turns brownish.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the yolks and the 2 tbsp sugar until the color turns a bit light.
3. Remove tea bags from the pot and press them through a strainer to make sure you get all the liquid out.
4. Pour the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture and mix.
5. Put the mixture back in the pot and cook on very low heat. Stir it continuously making sure that you don't overcook the eggs.
6. Once the mixture becomes thick & coats the back of a spoon, remove from heat, strain to another boil and cool on an ice bath to stop the eggs from further cooking.
7. Once cooled, churn in an ice cream mixer for 20-30 minutes or until formed.
8. Keep in freezer.
If you don't have an ice cream machine/maker, here are ways to DIY: http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Ice-Cream-Unplugged#page-6