Crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside
Time to prepare:
Time to cook:
Ingredients (8 persons):
1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil2 Garlic cloves, finely minced1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried1/4 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper1 Cup warm water2 1/4 Teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)1/4 Teaspoon honey2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour1 Teaspoon salt
How to prepare:
1. In a cold medium skillet, combine olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, and the black pepper. Place the pan over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 10 minutes or until aromatic, but before the garlic browns. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the warm water, yeast, and honey. Stir a few times then let sit for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of the flour and a 1/4 cup of the infused garlic-olive oil mixture. Stir 3 to 4 times until the flour has moistened. Let sit for another 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour and the salt. Once the dough comes together, transfer to a floured board and knead the dough 10 to 15 times until smooth. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for 1 hour. (It’s best to let the dough rise in a warmer area of your kitchen).
1. After 1 hour, heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Use two tablespoons of the remaining garlic-olive oil mixture to oil a 9-inch by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet.
3. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet then press it down into the pan. Use your fingers to dimple the dough then drizzle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the garlic-olive oil mixture. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes until it puffs slightly.
4. You can sprinkle some chopped garlic and rosemary leaves on top. Bake until golden brown for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Cool baked focaccia bread on a wire rack.